7/12/10

Why I Love Kansas City

kc2
We are on vacation in Grandview MO, a suburb of Kansas City, visiting my hubbies family.  I love it here for a plethora of reasons.  I’m sure you're dying to hear them so here they go…
1. Being around family.  I love teaching the boys about relationships.  Grandma, grandpa, cousins, aunts, uncles, great grandma, great uncle, etc.  I think it makes them feel a part of something big.  At home, it’s just our family of four and honestly it can be a bit lonely so I getting to see extended family is a treat. This trip alone we got to see Great Grandma Lofton, Uncle Ken, & Cousin Quin (my 7mth old great step-nephew who we met for the first time). The Lofton’s are a touchy feely group and I’m almost getting used to it :-) They hug and touch and say I love you!  Sooo different from my family!
2. Being Spoiled.  I don’t have to cook (not that I do that at home anyway).  But my family is fed without any effort on my part.  I wake up to bacon, eggs and biscuits and lunch and dinner are usually taken care of too.  Just when I start to think… “Hmmm, I think I’m getting hungry”  … food magically appears.  It’s amazing!
3. Kid Vacation.  Grandpa and Grandma are both up early in the mornings and they make breakfast for the boys and keep them entertained while I get to sleep in!  Grandma wakes up at 2am to direct Ian to the potty and put him back to bed so we get to sleep through the night undisturbed.  Cousin Kevan and uncle Anthony play video games with the boys and wrestle with them while I get to play on the internet or read on my Nook.  Grandma sits with the boys at the restaurants and cuts the chicken tenders and spreads the ketchup and even helps Ian eat his salad (which is always a messy adventure), and I get to eat in peace. 
4. The toiletries.  I love the soap and the toilet paper that my in-laws use.  I keep forgetting to ask what kind it is and I go back to Texas and sniff all the soap at Wal-Mart trying to remember the scent only to buy 12 bars of the wrong kind of soap.  And the toilet tissue is amazing.  It is super thick and you only have to use 6-8 squares to get the job done. Not to mention the Curel lotion and Aquafresh toothpaste.  We usually buy whatever toiletries that are on sale and pretend we are using the high end stuff! They also have super plush, extra large towels that are nothing like the clearance Target towels filling our linen closet. After reading this I realize that we probably need to stop being so cheap and buy nicer lotion and such since I look forward to using my in-laws toiletries!
5. Listening to the Blasts from the Past.  I am amazed at how crazy not careful my husband was growing up.  Jumping hurdles over the sofa and busting out his front teeth.Throwing Chinese stars against the living room wall and,  ganging up with his brother to beat up his big sister.  I’m so glad I got the more refined sensible version of my hubby and I hope my boys don’t go through a not careful phase.  I’m believing that my boys will think before acting when it comes to all things dangerous!
Well, we are wrapping up our week long KC vacation and heading back home in the morning.  I hate to go but it’s time for the boys to get back into some kind of routine.  They have been bouncing off the walls!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails