2/2/09

Monday Manna

I know I said that I wouldn’t share my comments about my Monday Manna scripture but I couldn’t resist. So here goes:
At times I struggle with trying to conform to my idea of being a “good Christian.” So much in fact that I tend to feel enormous amounts of guilt when I do, say, think or feel something that does not fit my idea of a “good Christian” [It doesn’t help that when I tell someone that my husband is a preacher and they reply, “Oh my gosh, you’re married to a preacher!” It's like they are thinking, how dare a minister marry such a heathen!]
Well, we all know that harboring guilt and feelings of inadequacy can be defeating so I turned to the Bible for a little help. What I found was that it is my job as a “good Christian” to surrender to God and allow Him to complete His work in me. I can never live holy on my own….I will surely fail. Only by grace (God’s precious gift of unmerited, unearned favor) will I come close to getting this “being a good Christian thing” right.
Ephesians 2:8
NIV: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God
Amplified: For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God

2 comments:

  1. Well said!! It does get frustrating at times, especially if you feel like you are not growing in Christ. But sometimes the reason we are not growing is because we tend to hold on to things that are stunting our growth. When we learn to surrender and really nourish our souls with spiritual things, then we will see the growth in God. When we surrender we are giving God the "go ahead" to complete the work of salvation in our lives. That also doesn't mean that we do nothing, but we must tend to our souls and make sure we are well fed with spiritual things like prayer and bible study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to Reverend Terrance,you go!! very good word!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails