6/28/10

Monday Manna - What About Your Friends?

My pastor always says that in any friendship one person is always being influenced by the other.  And since we are either influencing others or being influenced then we as Christians should make sure that we are not swayed into doing things that are not pleasing in the eyes of God. 

You know that old saying: "Birds of a feather flock together"  Well, as a kid I hated when my parents used that saying to get me to stop hanging around friends that they thought were wayward.  I would always argue that just because so and so does such and such doesn't mean that I'm going to do it too.  But occasionally their actions would rub off on me and I would start behaving the way they did. Good and bad.  It was a gradual influence but an influence none the less. 

The same thing happens when we are older.  We find ourselves influenced by those around us.  Of course it's good if we choose to be like our friend who is a hard worker, a good parent, a good spouse, and who is living a life pleasing to God.  Not so good if we are influenced to be like our friend who is selfish, rude, adulterous, etc.  I know these are extremes but you get my point. 

Now understand that no one is perfect so don't go judging all of your friends by a single action or personality trait.  Look at the big picture.  Are those close to you shining a positive light in your life or are they sucking the life out of you.  Overall, Is being friends with that person a positive experience or a negative one.  Does that person make you want to be a better person or are they constantly dragging you down. 

I believe that the friends I have in my life are a God send.  I have made an effort over the years to trim away all of the toxic relationships in my life in order to make room for those people who truly make my life better. I know it's hard sometimes to be honest with yourself and decide who in your life should get the boot.  Maybe it's a best friend, a significant other, a coworker, a neighbor, or a church member.  Life is too short to be bogged down with negativity.  So choose your friends carefully!

Proverbs 18:24
NIV:A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Message: Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family.
CEV: Some friends don't help, but a true friend is closer than your own family.




3 comments:

  1. Glad to know I didn't get cut when you trimmed that fat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post Nita!

    Tan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww guys...glad you both made the cut!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails