8/24/09

Monday Manna

I made it to church yesterday. That is a major accomplishment. The downside to working only weekends is obviously that I don't get to church very often. I guess it's my fault really. I could technically do without some sleep and make it to church after I get off at 7am but I've tried it and it's ugly. I'm so tired and irritable that I can hardly pay attention to the message. The music seems magnified, the boys are out of control, and that's the Sunday that everyone wants to join church so the service is extended another 20 minutes.

Anyway, my pastor, Jimmy W.Glenn,Sr, preached about John 3: 16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I'm sure we've all heard the scripture before but he gave an example that stuck with me. He said that of all the parents who've had a child on death row who was about to be executed none of them have volunteered to take the place of the child that was about to be put to death. Sure maybe some forlorn parent may have jumped out of their chair and yelled "No....take me instead" but if they were really given the opportunity....would they do it? I'll be honest with you and tell you that if one of my boys committed a crime, something like murdering a small village, then I would not stand in proxy at his execution. I guess I should also state the fact that I am against the death penalty for so many reasons, but that's another post. I have too many things to live for. I have another son that needs me, a husband who would fall apart without me (smile) and a few things that I would like to accomplish before I take the big dirt nap.

Now say for instance, I'm driving over a bridge that collapsed into a river and the only way my kids could survive is if I jumped out of the car into the icy abyss thus allowing them to float to safety, then I would sacrifice myself in a heartbeat.

I know your'e thinking why not give my life in both scenarios. And to answer that thought.....I don't know. My point is that obviously there is a limit to how far my love goes. Somewhere in there, logic takes over and I'm thinking with my head and not my heart. Who knows where we will draw the line. We are not like God who gave His only begotten Son so that mankind will have a chance to be reconciled with Him and enjoy a communion with God like Adam and Eve did before sin was introduced into the world. We can never be a selfless as He was.

Don't we serve an awesome God?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails