1/4/10

Monday Manna - resolutions

Ahhh, it's that time again.  Time to come up with a few New Year's Resolutions in hopes that our lives will somehow be better if we start these resolutions at the beginning of the year as opposed to  say... June.  Anyway, I have a few staple resolutions that have been on my list for years (you know...lose 5-15 lbs, exercise, volunteer, etc) but one resolution that I'm really going to try to accomplish is developing a habit of reading studying my bible. 

My main reason for this is obviously the fact that I want to deepen my personal relationship with God.  And seriously, if The Bible contains my instructions on how to live a life that's pleasing to God thus securing me a spot in heaven.....umm, I'd be crazy not to spend more time studying up on those instructions.  Plus on the up side of all of this is the fact that the more you learn about God, the more you love and appreciate Him, the more your life changes for the better, and the closer you are to Him.

Plus, how can I share the good news about our Lord and Saviour if I don't know it.  I can tell you some basic truths and throw in a couple of stories I've learned in Sunday School but is that enough?  I need to have God's word written on the tablets of my heart so that I can have it there when I need it.

2 Corinthians 3:3  You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.


When I was in nursing school, my professor was going on and on during a lecture and I completely zoned out.  I guess I had a blank stare on my face because she asked me a question over whatever boring interesting topic she was covering.  Well, I refused to admit that I was not listening so I commenced to babble about whatever it was I thought she was talking about before I zoned out.  Needless to say, everyone knew that I had no idea what was going on as evidenced by my friend kicking me under the table and turning red trying to keep from laughing.   Well, I don't want to feel that way when someone asks me a question about the God I serve.  I want to know what's going on.  I want to be able to talk about my beliefs without pulling out a bunch of cliches and Sunday school stories.  I'm sure everyone by now knows about Noah and his arc!

Bottom Line: If I can read the whole Twilight series in a week with each book being about 700+ pages, then I can hunker down and read The Word!

So here's my first Monday Manna for 2010:

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails